Lancaster County Golf Association
Tournament Rules, Policies and Code of Conduct
RULES OF PLAY
Play and equipment is governed by the Rules of Golf of the USGA and, where applicable, by the attached Local Rules. Equipment must be on the list of conforming USGA regulations.
1. Lateness for Starting Time: In the absence of circumstances which warrant completely waiving the penalty of disqualification as provided in Rule 33-7, if the player arrives at his starting point ready to play within five (5) minutes of his/her starting time, the penalty of disqualification for failure to start on time is modified to “2 strokes in stroke play”. NO SHOWS Those players who fail to appear for their assigned time without notifying Lancaster County Golf Association (LANCO) and/or the host club could be suspended from playing in all LANCO tournaments for one (1) year. Suspension includes the following year’s event at which the infraction occurred.
2. Pace of Play: Players are expected to play each hole at the pace the field dictates or, as a maximum, as specified on the local rules sheet. Players are “out of position” when there is one clear hole open in front of them tee to tee or green to green. Once “out of position” and off pace, the players may be put on the clock to determine the offending player/ players. (A subsequent bad time is when the player takes more than 45 seconds to play his shot). Two (2) bad times will result in a one stroke penalty. A third bad time will result in an additional stroke penalty and the fourth bad time will result in disqualification.
3. Motorized Transportation: A motorized cart is part of the player’s equipment.
- A. A player or players using a cart may appoint someone to drive the cart in which case the driver is considered to be the caddie of the player or players. Only the player or players or his/her caddie is authorized to drive the cart.
- B. NO spectator carts allowed. Only players’ carts and official carts authorized by the LANCO will be allowed on the course.
4. Lifting an embedded ball: Anywhere “through the green” a ball which is embedded in its own pitch mark in the ground, except loose sand, may be lifted without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to the spot where it was embedded but not closer to the hole. (See Rule 20). “Through the green” is the entire area of the course except:
- A. Tee ground and putting green of the hole being played
- B. All hazards on the course
5. Marking Position of Lifted Ball: Before a ball on the putting green is lifted, its position shall be marked by placing a small marker immediately behind the ball: if the ball marker interferers with another player, the marker should be moved one or more putter head lengths to one side. If the position of the ball is not so marked, the player shall incur a penalty of one (1) stroke and the ball shall be replaced. If the ball is not replaced, the player shall incur the penalty for breach of Rule 20-3a, but no additional penalty under the Local Rule shall be applied. (This modifies Rule 20-1).
6. Practice Between Holes- PROHIBITED. Between the play of two holes, a player shall NOT play any practice stroke on or near the putting green of the last hole played.
7. Out of Bounds: “Out of Bounds” is ground on which play is prohibited. When out of bounds is defined by reference stakes or a fence or as being beyond stakes or a fence, the out of bounds line is determined by the nearest inside points of the stakes or fence at ground level excluding angled supports; the out of bounds line extends vertically upward and downward. When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds. A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds. Note: Such stakes, fence posts, concrete base of fence posts, and fences along boundaries are not obstructions.
8. Permanent Elevated Power Lines and Cables: If a ball strikes such a line or cable, the stroke shall be cancelled and must be replayed without penalty. Player must play stroke (replay) from where the previous stroke was played.
9. Suspension of Play for a Dangerous Reason: When play is suspended for a dangerous reason, e.g., lightning, tornado, high winds, etc., all players will immediately suspend play and shall not continue or resume play until the Member course has ordered resumption of play. Note: A suspension for a dangerous reason shall be signaled by one prolonged siren blast. All other types of suspension shall be signaled by several short, intermittent siren or horn blast. Penalty for Breach of this condition…Disqualification. All practice areas shall remain closed during suspension for dangerous reasons until the LANCO has declared them open for use.
10. Playoff: See separate Supplementary Rule Sheet. (Regulated by the Member Course)
CODE OF CONDUCT
11. Failure to Return a Scorecard: Any player who fails to return a scorecard to the scoreboard official or who withdraws during play without notifying an official and personally surrendering his scorecard to that official, could be suspended from play in all LANCO tournaments for one (1) year. Suspension includes the following year’s event at which the infraction occurred.
12. Cellular phones and Beepers: All players/caddies are advised that the use of cellular/smart phones for phone calls, emails, text messaging on the course is permitted as along as it is done so within the confines of Rule 14-3 and if the host facility allows those devices to be used. All players are expected to keep their phones in silent mode while on the course.
13. LANCO EVENTS PROHIBIT the transportation and consumption of alcoholic beverages during competition.
14. Dress Code: Players are required to observe good taste and dress appropriately for the golf course. Items of clothing such as cargo pants and shorts (baggy clothing with large pockets in the knee area), blue jeans, short-shorts (bottom of shorts may not be higher than two inches from the top of the knee), tank tops, etc. are considered inappropriate. Hats are to be worn toward the front. Anyone attired in such a manner will not be allowed to participate in a LANCO event. Metal shoe spikes are not permitted.
15. VIOLATORS OF THE ABOVE RULES AND CONDUCT ARE SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION OR SUSPENSION FROM PLAY.